Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Why?

You know I always wonder why people are the way they are. How can a person be so mean to someone without guilt running through your conscious. Do You have a soul? a decent one at that? Now Im not saying that im an 100% Angel but I swear alot of people can just be so cruel. For example, A homeless person is sitting on the sidewalk with his/her shopping cart full of raggedy clothes and barely has clothing appropriate for weather conditions. I see people passing them by like their nothing, garbage. I remember one time I was waiting by 58th Street and 8th avenue and their was a Homeless man sitting on the side near a few vendors and a store if im not mistaken. Anyway the man is very polite and asks people for any spare change. One individual passes by and the man asks if he has any spare change. The individual says "Get a Job", spits on him and walks away. My goodness thats just so wrong. Now I kind of understand from a certain viewpoint of some people. Like one individual stated to me that the reason why he "doesnt feel bad for homeless people is b/c of their addiction to drugs, why cant they go and fill out an application for a job and work to get paid like the rest of us" I must admit this person has a point but not all homeless people are addicted to drugs, or dont wanna work. Some people lost their homes in fires, or no money to pay the rent. I do have sympathy for people who are homeless b/c I cant imagine being homeless with no place to go or no warm bed to sleep in. Whenever im approached by a homeless individual I look at their body language and try to study them. I do this to see if i can determine if their doin drugs. In addition I tend to ask them questions like how did you become homeless? What happened to your family? Did you try to get back on your feet? What are you gonna use the money I give you for? I know the last question kind of seems dumb but hey yuh never know what response you will get? Normally if I sense he/she is lying I would say no i dont have any money to spare. If I feel he/she is legit I will give money willingly. However if im heading to go get something and IF AND ONLY IF I have enough money to spare, I would treat him/her to a hot meal. Their is the true test right there to see if he/she is really lying. Think about it. If he/she is really homeless and wants something to eat then the person would jump to the opportunity but if I offer to buy food and the person says "no thats okay just give me the money I will buy food later" BAM, there you go. You caught him/her in the act. I know if I was homeless and dying for a plate of food and a nice person offered me a plate of food with a drink hell yeah I would jump up to go eat.

*****TO BE CONTINUED*****

1 comment:

  1. Yeah man, that's a very smart strategy. Some people like to just assume that every homeless person is a no good bum and they deserve what they get, YET they would complain about job cuts cuz they wouldnt be able to feed their family or themselves, yet some of these homeless people are trying to just make it through another day

    ReplyDelete